With the holidays upon us, we are all trying to avoid eye contact with the dessert table and keep our waistlines in check, which means we should consider the same for our four-legged family members. This recipe for healthy spinach, carrot and zucchini dog treats from Damn Delicious will help keep your furry friends trim throughout the holiday season.
What You’ll Need
2 large eggs
Whole Wheat Flour
3 cups, or more as needed
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
1 zucchini, shredded
1 cup, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until well combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add old-fashioned oats and 2 1/2 cups flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky. Add carrot, zucchini, and spinach, beating just until incorporated.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. The baking time will depend on your oven and the size and shape of your treats.
- Let cool completely.
Looking for a fun, new cookie cutter for all of your homemade dog treats? Check out these customizable ones from Name That Cookie on Etsy!